2019 Nanjing International Resident Writers Programme
This program was established to improve the creative ability and multicultural understanding of talented writers from world cities with literary resources (particularly UNESCO Cities of Literature). Each year, participating cities will select six to eight authors for a one-month residency program in Nanjing, while Nanjing will recommend local authors for similar programs in partner cities. Activities will be organized during the program to help visiting writers learn about different aspects of local culture, better understand local literature, and gain creative inspiration from these new experiences. One to two large-scale public events such as book readings and author discussions will be held. The hope is that writers will be able to visit during traditional festival periods like the Spring Festival, Qinhuai Lantern Festival and Mid-Autumn Festival as well as some of the city’s major events, such as the International Youth Forum on Creativity and Heritage along the Silk Roads and the International Peace Forum.
During the residency program, writers will engage in literary creation focused on their immersive experiences of Nanjing culture and lifestyle. The completed pieces will be published on local media platforms at the end of the program.
Resident writers will be provided a programme tailored to derive the utmost possible from their time in Nanjing, be that getting a taste of daily life in the city, tracing the local cultural heritage and meeting with its experts or enjoying the literary and arts scene. We want every writer who participates in the programme to leave with a wealth of new ideas to write from and good memories to carry with them into the future.
Who Can Apply: Writers of all forms (Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, plays)
Residency City: Nanjing (Province of Jiangsu, China)
1. A budding interest in Nanjing culture and willingness to get involved in local cultural activities;
2. An extract of one or more published works provided;
3. Recommendations from local literary organizations or authorities;
4. 3 plus years of professional writing experience as well as 1-2 literary works published and/or recognised literature awards received;
5. English language competence.
1. Participate in local literary activities;
2. Meet with students and teachers from local universities to share the experiences of literary creation;
3. An article inspired by residency experience to be provided to the Nanjing Literature Center at the end of the project.
Funding and Services Provided
1. Round trip travel expenses (international and domestic flights in economy class; railway transportation in China)
2. Accommodation (apartment/studio);
3. $800 monthly living allowance (including transportation, food, living essentials, sim card etc.)
Nanjing Literature Center was established in 2016 to help Nanjing apply for the UNESCO Creative Cities Network status of City of Literature, to develop Nanjing’s image as a city of culture, and to promote diversified international exchanges and innovations.